glibc install failure in ch. 5

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Nov 24 15:21:32 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 edwin at itasca.net wrote:

> I'm building LFS 5.1.1 from an LFS 5.0 system I built.  As far as I can
> tell, I have deviated from the book only in that I am using kernel 2.4.27
> rather than 2.4.26 (need the additional serial ata support...).
>
> I got as far as compiling glibc-2.3.3-lfs5.1 in chapter 5.
> Up to "make AUTOCONF=no", everything has worked flawlessly.  I didn't make
> the test suites, and did make the /tools/etc/ld.so.conf dummy.
>
> "make install", however, fails.  I find it odd that it appears to be
> running a "make configure" instead, based on what happens onscreen.
> The actual error message is:
>
> [after lots of "make config" kinda lines]
> checking for size of long double...configure: error: cannot compute sizeof
> (long double), 77
> see 'config.log' for more details
> make [1]: [/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/config.status] Error 1
> make [1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs5.1'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> Attempting to press on and create the minimal locales doesn't work,
> presumably because the install didn't happen.  Why does it appear to be
> doing a make configure to install?  Why can't it compute long double NOW
> when it presumably could before compilation?  How do I get past this??
>
> edwin at itasca.net

At a guess, it failed during a config.  Maybe some of the config stuff
is run from something that is run from 'make'.  I've never seen your
problem, but on unstable hardware I've seen a lot of failures ("internal
compiler error") in gcc and glibc.  If you try to continue (e.g. because
you use scripts that didn't detect the error) 'make install' runs the
dependency on 'make' and presumably fails again.

Try removing the gcc and gcc-build directories, repeating, and logging
both the config and the build (and grab stderr in the same log with
2>&1) and checking $? after each step.  On the first non-zero result,
look at the logs to see where the first 'Error' message appears.  If you
have a script, it might be worth doing this part manually, until you can
identify the problem(s).

Ken