glibc install failure in ch. 5

edwin at itasca.net edwin at itasca.net
Wed Nov 24 13:50:29 PST 2004

I'm building LFS 5.1.1 from an LFS 5.0 system I built.  As far as I can
tell, I have deviated from the book only in that I am using kernel 2.4.27
rather than 2.4.26 (need the additional serial ata support...).

I got as far as compiling glibc-2.3.3-lfs5.1 in chapter 5.
Up to "make AUTOCONF=no", everything has worked flawlessly.  I didn't make
the test suites, and did make the /tools/etc/ld.so.conf dummy.

"make install", however, fails.  I find it odd that it appears to be
running a "make configure" instead, based on what happens onscreen.
The actual error message is:

[after lots of "make config" kinda lines]
checking for size of long double...configure: error: cannot compute sizeof
(long double), 77
see 'config.log' for more details
make [1]: [/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/config.status] Error 1
make [1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs5.1'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Attempting to press on and create the minimal locales doesn't work,
presumably because the install didn't happen.  Why does it appear to be
doing a make configure to install?  Why can't it compute long double NOW
when it presumably could before compilation?  How do I get past this??

edwin at itasca.net