problem with mktemp-1.5 on lfs 5.1.1

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Nov 24 12:52:31 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Le Floch Jérémy wrote:

> Hello everyone, this my first message on this mailing list and i have to
> warn you that i don't speak english very well :-(
>
> I am compiling mktemp-1.5 on lfs 5.1.1 in chapter 6 and i have this
> error while the ./configure script is a success :
> root:/sources/mktemp-1.5# make
> gcc -o mktemp mktemp.
> gcc: mktemp.: No such file or directory
> gcc: no input files
> make: *** [mktemp] Error 1
>
> I don't understand nothing ! Help me please, google do not give me anythink.
>
> Jérémy.

 If you copied this correctly, the Makefile has been told that the
object file should be called "mktemp." instead of "mktemp.o".  The
output from configure would be helpful - around the ninth line it should
say something like "checking for suffix of object files... o".

 Have you tried removing the mktemp directory and trying again ?  I
don't see how you could get as far as mktemp if the configure scripts
fail to find a suffix for object files, so I wonder if you have disk or
memory problems.

Ken