LFS + Debian

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Tue Nov 23 05:53:58 PST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 03:13:19 -0800 (PST) RituRaj <ritu_turu at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> 1) I need to ensure that my debian wont have any probs
> after i build LFS.

That is simple. When you reach the "Making the LFS System Bootable"
section of the LFS book just add an entry for your LFS system to your
existing Grub, instead of installing the Grub you compiled during your LFS
build. There's absolutely no reason to install a new Grub. And if you
don't, there'll be no problem booting your existing Debian system.

> 2) If i remove windows in /dev/hda1 and partition it
> in 2  partitions....let me know the changes i need to
> carry out in order to boot debian.

If you split your partition in 2, chances are that you'll completely mess
up your partition numbering, i.e. you'll have to change Grub's menu.lst so
that the "(hd?,?)" match the new numbering. Furthermore you will probably
have to change the /etc/fstab of your Debian system.

We can't tell you in advance how exactly you need to change them because
it depends on how the partitioning program sets up the partitions. You
should write down the output of fdisk -l /dev/hda. Using the "start",
"end" and "blocks" numbers you can uniquely identify your partitions.
These numbers don't change when repartitioning (except of course for the
partition being split in 2), so after the partitioning you can use these
numbers to find out what new numbers your old partitions have got.
Grub is less of a problem, because the Grub shell's tab-completion and
find-command allow you to discover the new numbering easily.

BTW, if the only reason for repartitioning your hard disk is so that you
can install LFS, you should reconsider. The
lfs_next_to_existing_systems.txt hint explains how you can install the LFS
system on one of your Debian partitions without affecting Debian. Both
systems will be bootable. No changes to the Debian system are necessary.
The only requirement is that you have enough space free on one of your
Debian partitions. This hint is a lot safer than repartitioning and should
you decide that you want to repartition anyway, you can still do that
later and just mv the LFS system to the new partition.

IOW, if you have enough free space on one of your Debian partitions I
strongly urge you to wait with the repartitioning and to instead build
with the lfs_next_to_existing_systems hint on a Debian partition. It's a
lot safer.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The lfs_next_to_existing_systems hint that is currently
referenced in the book is outdated and difficult to use (which is why the
book warns newbies against using it). Wait for the new version that will
be released before the end of this week. It's simple, safe and
newbie-proof.

MSB

--
Dyslexics have more fnu.