make install gcc-2.3.3 fails: Illegal instruction

Josh Adell jadell at vt.edu
Fri Nov 19 10:47:07 PST 2004

Oskar Ahner <Oskar Ahner wrote:
> Everything went OK up to the point of:
> make AUTOCONF=no
> in ch. 5.
> Next step is:
> make install
> which gives the following error:
> make[1]: *** [install-symbolic-link] Illegal instruction
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5-1'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> This has been posted twice to this mailing list this year, but
> without any suggestions.
> /Oskar

I posted this problem earlier.  The problem lies in using earlier
versions of somethings on your host system.  For example, I was using
Debian woody 2.2.20 (kernel), and the stable versions of all packages.
I upgraded to using Debian sarge (2.4.26 kernel) and the "testing"
branch releases of all packages.

The solution (at least the one I'll give you because it was given to me
:) is to upgrade your host.

--Josh