Why everything closed (read only) with the my own LFS?

thorsten fly_a320 at gmx.de
Wed Nov 17 23:11:24 PST 2004

I guess you do need to add a line for your rootfs, like this
/dev/hda1       /            ext2     defaults        1      1
of course, you have to adopt /dev/hda1 according to your system. The
reason is:
Upon boot, your rootfs gets mounted readonly automatically, however if
there is no entry for it in fstab, it remains readonly. The above line
tells the system to mount it with default mount options, which include
read/write. details about fstab are in the manpages fstab and mount.

After login issue the following command to get the rootfilesystem
remounted read/write:
mount /dev/hda1 -w -o remount
then you should be able to modify the fstab:-)

thorsten