Welcome to the "Lfs-support" mailing list

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 15 00:25:49 PST 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> linuxg33k wrote:
>
>> Hey guys, I would greatly appreciate some help on this issue:
>> [snip long stuff]
>> Your help on this would be greatly appreciated, it is really hard to
>> work around tutorials that are designed to 'teach you' about how a
>> linux system is built, yet somehow magicaly expect the 'student' to
>> already know this stuff.
>

> The symlink command you are struggling with is elementary Linux
> stuff. It doesn't matter what directory you issue that command in,
> it will always create a link to the the gcc program in /tools/bin
> named /tools/bin/cc.

Rereading my message, perhaps I was a little blunt. My apologies.
However, to build an LFS system, it is expected that the builder
knows how to use the basic system commands such as ln.

Anyway, I looked at "man ln" and that doesn't tell you a whole lot.
It's been years since I looked at that. There's less there than I
would have expected.

The command you asked about: ln -s gcc /tools/bin/cc means this:

Create a soft link (symlink) in the /tools/bin directory named
cc which links to the gcc program in the relative directory.
So, this creates a link that looks like this if you issue ls -l

/tools/bin/cc -> gcc

so if you use the (now in the path) cc command, it actually will
execute the gcc command in the /tools/bin directory.

I hope this helps some. However, get a good book and review the
commands you have trouble with. You'll learn a lot more on your
own than having to be told. Good luck building!

--
Randy