Finally I installed a LFS5.0 for panasonic laptop Pentium MMX on a P4 computer!

wangzhi quakewang at yeah.net
Wed Nov 10 19:08:39 PST 2004

Hello everyone:

        Finally I installed a LFS5.0 for panasonic laptop Pentium MMX on a
P4 computer!

        I feel the LFS book just intend to explain how to install a lfs on
the same computer, or another same arch same cpu type computer. The LFS book
do not talk any about cross compile. It makes a great difficulty for me.

        On the first time, I just follow the steps of the LFS5.0 book, that
lfs works fine on P4 computer, but when I put the harddisk to my laptop it
hung after the "freeing unused kernel memery ...", I have to install the
second time. And I use many home="i586-pc-linux-gnu" and target="Pentium"
and build="Pentium" etc, I change CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS a lot, althought the
LFS book strongly suggest to unset them, I have many errors during the
installation, and some of my commands such as "ls" , "date", "make" cause
Segment fault, but the ones in the /tools/bin are good, so I use them to
finish the installation.

        Now, I have my laptop run with the lfs 5.0 linux, and I will
recompile the files that have problems.

        Can I?   Any sugguestions?

Thanks all

                                                                Wangzhi