CDROM Boot Initrd Problem

Thomas Hackert thackert at nexgo.de
Mon Nov 8 21:52:38 PST 2004

Hello Charles,
On Tuesday 09 November 2004 04:56, Charles Meier wrote:
> System is an LFS 5.1 w/ Linux 2.6.8.1.  I've created a boot CD
> using lilo and BusyBox.  This boots easily on the machine where
> the LFS was built.  This box is a dual PIII.  The CD also boots
> on a Dell PIII laptop.  But the CD refuses to boot on my older
> boxs -- one w/ a K6/300 (mail server) and the other with a
you should search the archives/hints for the cross-compiling hint.
You have build your boot CD on an x686, therefore it boots on you
Dell laptop, but not on your K6/300. Here you need a bootable CD
for x586 (I think).

> PII/200 (replacement firewall/router).  On those machines, the
Here you need a bootable CD for x386.

> kernel boots as far as the "Freeing unused kernel memory" message
> and then appears to hang w/ no further msgs.  This is the point
> where /linuxrc should kick in, but no dice.
This happens because you have compiled your LFS system for the wrong
architecture (is this the right terminology in english?).

> I've tried the obvious.  The kernel was compiled w/ the basic
> Pentium option.  Busybox was compiled w/ -march=i386.  It doesn't
> appear to be a problem with the arch options used to compile
> the system.
But have you switched the right option in your kernel? Default is P3
or P4, IIRC.

> I started using Linux using a pre-version 1 SLS install.  I've
> been upgrading machines from scratch since before there was an
> LFS (Kudos to the LFS team -- you're directions have made
> upgrades much, much faster) and have always managed to do it
> successfully with only occasional references to usenet archives.
> But this one has me completely baffled.
I think, you should search http://search.linuxfromscratch.org for
the uname hack. This seemed to be a solution in the past ... ;)

> Any ideas?
See above. HTH
Thomas.

registered LFS user #9947 @www.linuxfromscratch"