Problem with Ch 5 glibc

Thomas Hackert thackert at nexgo.de
Sun Nov 7 10:33:13 PST 2004

Hi Joshua,
On Monday 08 November 2004 06:23, Joshua Adell wrote:
> Hello all.  I am new to LFS and I'm using book version 5.1.1
> My problem is in Ch 5 when installing Glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1
> Everything configures and makes fine until I get to "make
> install" at which point the following error always happens:
> /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/elf/sln
> /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/elf/symlink.list
> make[1]: *** [install-symbolic-link] Illegal instruction
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1'
> make: *** Error 2
> I have looked all over the website, including hints and lfs
> mailing list archives and I cannot find a solution.
I have tried this:
http://search.linuxfromscratch.org/index.cgi?query=%22install-symbolic-link%22
You got a couple of hits where you should find your answer. If I
have read it the right way, your core components of your host
(glibc, gcc, binutils and such) are too old ... :(

> I'm running PII, with Debian installed, kernel 2.2.20
See above. I think you should either use a newer distro or an older
LFS book version ...

HTH
Thomas.

registered LFS user #9947 @www.linuxfromscratch"