I get distraught with GRUB

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Nov 6 02:41:38 PST 2004

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Urke MMI wrote:

> But, then I get this:
>
> Error 12: Invalid device requested
>
> I try with (hd1), but error persist. Then I check /dev and only devices
> there is pts and shm. So, nowhere is hd* devices. Do I need to make it by
> myself (with setup-lfs.sh) or what? What I'm forgot?
>
> I'm confused and I not know what to read to solve this problem. Please,
> give me some tips :)

 You've used a version of the unstable book which creates devices in
$LFS/dev either by running udev before chapter 6, or by binding *some*
devices from outside chroot.  Simplest solution is probably to bind a
few more devices before you go in -

mount --bind /dev/hdb /mnt/lfs/dev/hdb

and similarly for any of the partitions such as hdb1.

Ken