Normal user can't list vfat mount point

Tran Ngoc Hieu hungother at gmx.net
Wed Mar 31 01:39:44 PST 2004

Yah, a brain typo. I didn't read carefully. He's getting 744, which suggests

a default umask=033. That's an odd setting, but the solution (to the VFAT
mount permissions issue) should still be the same.
--> Thank you, but the umask for root is 022 (755) and for normal users is
002 on my LFS system. That means when root creats a folder then normal can
view its content. As normal user on Red Hat (the host system which I built LFS),
I can list /mnt/hdd4. I don't understand why the permissions on this
directory is rwxr-xr-x (when I mkdir it), but when the vfat partition is mounted, it
became rwxr--r-- (where are x permission?), although I mounted it with
options users, user, or defaults.