Starting with LFS

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Tue Mar 30 22:14:22 PST 2004

Sebastiano Pomata wrote:
> il Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:25:37 -0600
> John <Smartcat99S at stgeorges.myvnc.com> ha scritto:
>

>>Sebastiano Pomata wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all, I think now I'm ready to start building my own Linux system,
>>>so I've read the LFS-BOOK 5.0, but I haven't installed anything yet.
>>>My answer is: when I've finished building base system, every thing
>>>that I would like to install on it should be compiled from scratch as
>>>for the base system? Is it documented in Beyond LFS? Is it possible
>>>to do it for a normal user like me or it's very difficult? thanks all
>>>

>>As long as you follow the book, anybody can do it.
>>Try 5.1pre1
>>

> Ok thanks all, I hope to start building my new Linux system at the end
> of this week. Approximately, how long does it takes to build base system
> on a Penitum III 600? Some weeks :-) ?

Sebastiano,

It should take you, as a new user, a couple of weeks.  I can do it, with
cut&paste, but not scripted, in a day.  My advice is to take lots of
notes as you go through, and record the output of make commands by using:

make 2>&1 | tee make.log

rather than just 'make'.  That way you can check back easily if things
go wrong (./configure usually makes it's own log in config.log).

Take time to understand what you are doing, and read all the
introduction chapters several times before you start the build. You
might find my documents 'Esseential Pre-Reading for LFS' and
'LFS-References' useful: http://www.109bean.org.uk/opensource.html

I'm off on vacation for three weeks now, I hope to find you as a new LFS
users when I get back!  Good Luck.

Richard.