Starting with LFS

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Mar 30 12:45:50 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, John wrote:

> Sebastiano Pomata wrote:
>
> >Hi all, I think now I'm ready to start building my own Linux system, so
> >I've read the LFS-BOOK 5.0, but I haven't installed anything yet. My
> >answer is: when I've finished building base system, every thing that I
> >would like to install on it should be compiled from scratch as for the
> >base system? Is it documented in Beyond LFS? Is it possible to do
> >it for a normal user like me or it's very difficult? thanks all
> >

> As long as you follow the book, anybody can do it.
> Try 5.1pre1

 Yes to folowing BLFS (and the LFS hints for things that aren't in
BLFS).  Once you've got to the end of LFS you should be in a good
position to build the rest of it and research/debug any problems that
arise.  Just remember not to delete the host system (assuming you're
using it for the internet connection) until you've build everything you
need.

 No to following 5.1-pre1.  I'm not denying that it works for many
people (particularly on i686), but some people have had difficulties
with it.  If you're /really/ brave, try 5.1-pre2 when it is released,
but until we've all given it a shot and found what oddities may lurk in
the far reaches of BLFS you're better off starting with 5.0 - you can
always upgrade later.  In fact, unless you know exactly which
applications you want, you're probably best trying a lot the first time,
then building a slimmer system with only what you are going to use.
AFAIKR, with the exception of the kernel (hint - use linux-2.4.25)
nothing much in 5.0 is dangerous.

Ken