Normal user can't list vfat mount point

Cynthia Higginbotham cyhiggin at republicofnewhome.org
Tue Mar 30 11:01:01 PST 2004

On Monday 29 March 2004 08:32 pm, hungother at gmx.net wrote:
> I've just finished installing LFS 5.0. I created /mnt/hdd4 and mount  a FAT
> partition (type vfat) on it. But only the roor can list it, normal user can
> not. Although I added an entry point in /etc/fstab with defaults options,
> but it's no use. The permissions on /mnt/hdd4 is rwxr-xr-x but when the FAT
> partition is mounted it becomes rwxr--r--. What went wrong with me? Can
> someone help me fix it, please?

VFAT does not understand access permissions or ownership, so in Linux it
gets mounted with the default umask and ownership of whoever called mount.
You must specify the options umask, uid, gid in your fstab if you want them to
be different.  For example, I mount my windows partition with the following
line in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdc1               /windows/D  vfat     rw,uid=501,gid=100 	0	    2

That assigns ownership to my personal user account and the 'users' group on my
machine. It also gives me my default umask 022, which results in the
permissions rwxr--r-- (755) on the mount directory and all subordinate
directories and files in that partition. Same thing you got.

If I wanted more liberal write permissions, give it a more liberal umask, for
example,

/dev/hdc1          /windows/D  vfat     rw,uid=501,gid=100,umask=000 0   2

a umask of 000, would result in permissions of rwxrwxrwx (777) on everything
in that partition.