5.1-pre1 - safe or not?

hh09 at onlinehome.de hh09 at onlinehome.de
Tue Mar 30 02:26:02 PST 2004

Joel Miller <cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu> schrieb am 30.03.2004,
01:35:57:
> Jack wrote:
> > In another thread, Miguel Bazdresch  said
> >
> >     You need to be aware that the main problem with 5.1-pre is that its
> >     glibc is not guaranteed to work.
> >
> > Can someone expand on this?  Are there known problems, or just suspected
> > ones?  I'm in the middle of building 5.1-pre1.  My first two builds (in
> > chapter 6) of glibc resulted in a linuxthreads error during make check
> > (same error both tries), but extracting clean source from the tar got
> > past that.  Might I be OK, or can I look forward to more problems?
>
> There are known problems. However, if you are building on an i686
> processor, the glibc in the prerelease book is fairly certainly ok.
> Problems have been reported on other architectures. To a lesser extent
> you should be ok on any 32-bit x86 architecture, but be warned that
> problems have been reported on i586.
>
> --
> Registered LFS User 6929
> Registered Linux User 298182
>
> --

hello Joel,
with the help of Miguel I've yesterday build a second lfs 5.1p1 system
on my server, and it seems working (except some details, cannot set or
don't really know how to set keyb-language).

this could probably confirm the above message, server arch is i686. but
I've to test operationalities now... so I will report further experience
here if you wnat.

hubert