5.1-pre1 - safe or not?

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Mon Mar 29 15:35:57 PST 2004

Jack wrote:
> In another thread, Miguel Bazdresch <lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org> said
>
>     You need to be aware that the main problem with 5.1-pre is that its
>     glibc is not guaranteed to work.
>
> Can someone expand on this?  Are there known problems, or just suspected
> ones?  I'm in the middle of building 5.1-pre1.  My first two builds (in
> chapter 6) of glibc resulted in a linuxthreads error during make check
> (same error both tries), but extracting clean source from the tar got
> past that.  Might I be OK, or can I look forward to more problems?

There are known problems. However, if you are building on an i686
processor, the glibc in the prerelease book is fairly certainly ok.
Problems have been reported on other architectures. To a lesser extent
you should be ok on any 32-bit x86 architecture, but be warned that
problems have been reported on i586.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182