beginner's problem with lfs book 2004-02-14

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Mon Mar 29 13:58:12 PST 2004

Muczy wrote:

> Hello everyone!
> So here is my problem:
> I'm using a Redhat 9 on a 2ghz celeron, 256Mb ram.
> When I get to the section "Change chroot", I copy and past the chroot
> command to the terminal (cause I'm using X), so I make no mistakes!
> Then Redhat says that "env" is not a directory. Well, honestly, he's
> right, but this problem didn't existed on Mandrak 9.2 .
> I changed to Redhat because there were some problems on Mandrake with
> Gcc, but that is another story.
> So, what have I done bad?
> Thanx 4 helping!!!
> Muczy ( muczy at freestart.hu )

This sounds like the LFS variable is not set. Do an `echo $LFS' before
running the chroot command. If it prints the directory you are
installing lfs to then something else is a problem. If it prints nothing
then it means that the LFS variable is unset. In that case you need to
do something like `export LFS=/mnt/lfs' to set the variable before you
chroot. Alternatively, you can just provide the absolute directory path
to the chroot command instead of using the LFS variable in the chroot
command.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182