5.1 system running, but error compiling further packages (e.g. mc)

hh09 at onlinehome.de hh09 at onlinehome.de
Mon Mar 29 13:26:01 PST 2004

Miguel Bazdresch <lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org> schrieb am 29.03.2004,
20:56:06:
> * hh09 at onlinehome.de  [2004-03-29 20:39]:
> > Miguel Bazdresch  schrieb am 29.03.2004,
> > 17:11:53:
> > > * hh09 at onlinehome.de  [2004-03-29 17:03]:
> > >
> > > First, you probably should be doing LFS 5.0, not 5.1, which doesn't
> > > exist, nor 5.1-pre, which is unstable :(
> > >
> > > Second, it'd be great if you could show us exactly what you are doing:
> > > which version of mc, which compilation steps, and especially, what
> > > *exact* errors you're getting. See the faq on how to most efficiently
> > > report errors.
> >
> > fine Miguel,
>
> I get the feeling my message offended you -- if so, apologies, wasn't my
> intention. Consider the point of view of someone who might take time to help
> you -- when you say "compiling a package such as mc leads to breaks"
> doesn't give the info one needs to determine what's going on.
>
> > typically:  mv intl/*.o stage2/intl
> >             mv: cannot stat `intl/*.o': No such file or directory
> >             make[2]: [stage2-start] Error 1 (ignored)
>
> Safe to ignore.
>
> > therafter with glibc: (remember: versions etc exactly conc. 51p-book)
>
> You need to be aware that the main problem with 5.1-pre is that its
> glibc is not guaranteed to work.
>
> >           make[2]: [/tools/libexec/pt_chown] Error 1 (ignored)
>
> Safe to ignore
>
> > ... just to interrupt reporting here, informations ok and readable?
>
> Yes. And about those mc errors? Also be sure to try the method Chris
> gave to upgrade flex and bison.
>
> --
> Miguel Bazdresch
> http://thewizardstower.org/
> --

hello Miguel,
nothing to worry about. I'm glad to see your tips, and I'm not such
often trying such projects.
ok.

mc: its only an example. I'd tried some packages, but had always the
problems while compiling, so I assumed its not depending on one
particular package. I will give you details as soon I will have the
newbuild lfs to re-try.

glibc: is there any typical indicator for that kind of known trouble, so
that I can detect it while building the system?

Chris: will contact him when I have a running lfs again and can try.

so to continue whit analysis:
LOCKING IN glibc      OK
TEST OK      [Requesting program interpreter: /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2]
REBUILDING gcc+binutils     NO ERRORS

BY THE WAY: is it ok to rm gcc+glibc-sources before rebuilding? Did so.

TESTS OK     [Requesting program interpreter: /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2]
COMPLETING CHAINTOOLS:
NCURSES: /sbin/ldconfig: Can't create temporary cache file
         /etc/ld.so.cache~: Permission denied
         make[1]: [install] Error 1 (ignored)
anything else ok
CHROOT    headers+glibc    OK
RE-ADJUSTING glibc         OK
TESTS OK     [Requesting program interpreter: /lib/ld-linux.so.2]