5.1 system running, but error compiling further packages (e.g. mc)

hh09 at onlinehome.de hh09 at onlinehome.de
Mon Mar 29 08:28:01 PST 2004

Miguel Bazdresch <lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org> schrieb am 29.03.2004,
17:11:53:
> * hh09 at onlinehome.de  [2004-03-29 17:03]:
> > hello world.
> > may I ask for help, regarding to following situation after successfully
> > (?) creating my lfs5.1 for my email/file-server (after 3 days hard
> > working - I'm not the linux-expert indeed).
> >
> > history:
> >
> > detailed going through the 5.1-book, creating the lfs step by step, all
> > the modules, all the tests and checks as recommended
> >
> > rebooting new lfs51 is ok
> >
> > compiling a package such as mc leads to breaks, because of missing bison
> > resp. flex.
> > reinstalling flex or bison isn't possible: each is depending on the
> > other to be installed first in some way (lex?).
>
> First, you probably should be doing LFS 5.0, not 5.1, which doesn't
> exist, nor 5.1-pre, which is unstable :(
>
> Second, it'd be great if you could show us exactly what you are doing:
> which version of mc, which compilation steps, and especially, what
> *exact* errors you're getting. See the faq on how to most efficiently
> report errors.
>
> --
> Miguel Bazdresch
> http://thewizardstower.org/
> --

fine Miguel,

I've now done some more work and wrote some scripts which are doing
toolchain-creating and so on automatically (again 5.1-pre, but as you
mentioned I have to think about 5.0).

I'm now rebuilding a new lfs partition ... while logging all messages
into log-files, just to give you all infos.
while BUILDING CHATINTOOL(first gcc-core, make .. bootstrap) 4 errors
come up -- after a lot of ISO C89 or C90 - warnings (without any
exports of CC..! I read the faq :))

typically:  mv intl/*.o stage2/intl
            mv: cannot stat `intl/*.o': No such file or directory
            make[2]: [stage2-start] Error 1 (ignored)

may be that's not deciding war.
therafter with glibc: (remember: versions etc exactly conc. 51p-book)

          mkdir /tools/libexec
          /usr/bin/install -c -m 4755 -o root /mnt/md1/lfsroot/sources \
                   /glibc-build/login/pt_chown /tools/libexec/pt_chown
          /usr/bin/install: cannot change ownership of                 \
                    `/tools/libexec/pt_chown': Operation not permitted
          make[2]: [/tools/libexec/pt_chown] Error 1 (ignored)

LOCKING IN glibc      OK
TEST OK             [Requesting program interpreter: /tools/lib/ld-    \
                                                         linux.so.2]