Don't want /etc/mtab to be linked to /proc/mounts

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Mar 28 10:12:27 PST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Nathan Coulson wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I was reading through the archives and I noticed that LFS didn't
> > always make /etc/mtab a link to /proc/mounts.  I'd like to go back to
> > that for my system.  Mainly I'd like df to output
> >
> >    Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> >    /dev/hda9              5036316   1175684   3604800  25% /
> >    /dev/hda1                15522      4712     10009  33% /boot
> >

> If you edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/mountfs
>
> after you mount / readwrite, put a
>  > /etc/mtab
>
> it will replace the contents of /etc/mtab with a empty file.  This is
> found in the latest bootscripts.

 Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.  I'm running the 2.0.2
bootscripts on a test box, I can see the `> /etc/mtab' line, but mount
still gives me the `rootfs' and `/dev/root' crap instead of showing me
the real device.  I'm another one who'd really like to go back to the
old behaviour, at least for my test boxes which have a number of
potential root filesystems.

Ken