GLIBC Configure error

Luis C. Wiedemann luis.wiedemann at florencebank.com
Thu Mar 25 14:08:01 PST 2004

Hello All! I'm new to *nix so bare with me please.
I am trying to get past the first part of the GLIBC installation. I created the dir's without a hitch, yippee. I now have a glibc-build dir, with the glibc-2.3.2 dir under that and when I am in the glibc-2.3.2 dir and run the command

../glibc-2.3.2/configure --prefix=/tools \
--disable-profile --enable-add-ons \
--with-headers=/tools/include \
--with-binutils=/tools/bin \
--without-gd

I get the following error,
configure: error: you must configure in a separate build directory

I also tried to do htis in the sources dir with the same error msg.

I am a bit confused as to where I should be untarring and running these commands from as the book doesn't seem to be specific. It mentions how it assumes you are in the sources folder but how can that be? the ../***/configure commands donned work from inside the sources folder! I just un tar into the specific build folders for now and configure and make from there but I'm not sure I am correct in doing that!

Thanks for any help you can offer me!!

Luis