glibc make check error (LFS 5.1-pre1)

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 25 17:28:03 PST 2004

On 2004.03.25 20:11, Ken Moffat wrote:
> Only that you maybe aren't on i686, or else you aren't on the right
> kind of i686 ;-)  I'm only testing on i586 and ppc, but I think
> glibc-2.3.3 is still somewhat suspect, certainly in the December
> versions.  Whether failing the test matters is a different question.
>
> Among other things, we lack data points.  I've seen a few people say
> 5.1-pre1 was good for them, and one or two with severe failures, but
> not much discussion of test results.  Certainly I've seen nothing
> mentioning this particular test.
>
>  My only observation is that you say you cleaned out the build
> directory and the source is unchanged.  I hope you mean you also
> cleaned out the glibc-2.3.3 directory and re-extracted the same
> source ?  Just because we use a build directory doesn't necessarily
> mean the source tree is unaffected by compilation (or maybe I'm being
> pessimistic).
I'm on an AMD Athlon XP-2000+, so maybe you have the right idea about
the wrong processor.

Also - I did use the same source directory as for the previous build.
I suppose I can try again with a clean extract from the tar.  I suppose
it is sometimes a good thing to be pessimistic.  For now, I'll wait to
hear if anyone has any more ideas about how important this is.
Can anoyone say whether this type of error might end up changing which
glibc is used in the book before 5.1 is formally released?