glibc make check error (LFS 5.1-pre1)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Mar 25 17:11:51 PST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Jack wrote:

> After I build glibc in Chapter 6, make check gives me an error:
>
> GCONV_PATH=/sources/glibc-build/iconvdata LC_ALL=C   /sources/glibc-
> build/elf/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /sources/glibc-build:/sources
> /glibc-build/math:/sources/glibc-build/elf:/sources/glibc-build/dlfcn:/
> sources/glibc-build/nss:/sources/glibc-build/nis:/sources/glibc-b
> uild/rt:/sources/glibc-build/resolv:/sources/glibc-build/crypt:/
> sources/glibc-build/linuxthreads /sources/glibc-build/linuxthreads/tst-
> attr1  > /sources/glibc-build/linuxthreads/tst-attr1.out
> /sources/glibc-build/linuxthreads/tst-attr1: pthread_attr_getstack
> returned range does not cover main's stack
> make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/linuxthreads/tst-attr1.out] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.3-20031202/linuxthreads'
> make[1]: *** [linuxthreads/tests] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.3-20031202'
> make: *** [check] Error 2
>
> (sorry for the wrapping of the first line)
>
> I've completely cleaned out the build directory and started over, with
> the same result.  The source is unchanged from the previous build in
> chapter 5.
>
> I'm pushing forward, and have not found any other problems yet, but
> this seems pretty strange.  My host system is LFS4.0.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

 Only that you maybe aren't on i686, or else you aren't on the right
kind of i686 ;-)  I'm only testing on i586 and ppc, but I think
glibc-2.3.3 is still somewhat suspect, certainly in the December
versions.  Whether failing the test matters is a different question.

 Among other things, we lack data points.  I've seen a few people say
5.1-pre1 was good for them, and one or two with severe failures, but not
much discussion of test results.  Certainly I've seen nothing mentioning
this particular test.

 My only observation is that you say you cleaned out the build directory
and the source is unchanged.  I hope you mean you also cleaned out the
glibc-2.3.3 directory and re-extracted the same source ?  Just because
we use a build directory doesn't necessarily mean the source tree is
unaffected by compilation (or maybe I'm being pessimistic).

Ken