WARNING: `automake-1.7' is needed

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Mar 24 13:35:02 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, lanas wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>   I get the following errors specifically on building two packages.  Since the
> last time I wrote on the subject I've rebuilt 5.0 quite a few times (for
> other purposes than checking this error) and always, the same happens at the
> exact same spots.  From what I could gather on the mailing list and on the
> web (sparse) this is because files were modified.  But I don't modify files.
> In fact I run each installation of a package inside a script so the procedure
> is exactly the same (apart from the building procedure specific for each
> package).
>
>   It untars the package, applies any patch file, executes the build commands,
> and removes the package's directory (unless otherwise stated).
>
>   But still:
>
> Gettext, chapter 5:
>
> /bin/sh /mnt/test3/gettext-0.12.1/config/missing --run automake-1.7 --gnits
> lib/Makefile
> configure.ac:25: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.7.6,
> configure.ac:25: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
> configure.ac:25: comes from Automake 1.7.5.  You should recreate
> configure.ac:25: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
> WARNING: `automake-1.7' is needed, and you do not seem to have it handy on
> your
>          system.  You might have modified some files without having the
>          proper tools for further handling them.  Check the `README' file,
>          it often tells you about the needed prerequirements for installing
>          this package.  You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in case
>          some other package would contain this missing `automake-1.7' program.
> make[3]: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/test3/gettext-0.12.1/gettext-tools/lib'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/test3/gettext-0.12.1/gettext-tools'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/test3/gettext-0.12.1/gettext-tools'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> Texinfo, chapter 5:
[snipped, same symptoms]

>   I'm building 5.0 from a LFS 4.0 system.
>
>   Why are these two packages finding that their files were modified and need
> to run autoconf again ?  - Any help truly appreciated !
>
> Cheers,
>
> Al

 If you are building from LFS-4.0, and you are still in chapter 5, I
don't see how automake is reporting its version as 1.7.6 (that's the
version from LFS-5.0, but you won't build it until half way into chapter
6).  If you'd said you'd built 5.0 and were testing if it could build
itself, I'd understand, but from here it looks as if either you've
upgraded automake on the host (very uncommon), or perhaps your PATH is
picking up a previous attempt to build 5.0.

 Failing that, maybe you are running an old kernel, and your clock keeps
jumping.  If you've got an old kernel, I suggest building the latest 2.4
on the host, then booting that to build LFS.

Ken