WARNING: `automake-1.7' is needed

lanas lanas at t-online.de
Wed Mar 24 08:51:04 PST 2004

Hello everyone,

  I get the following errors specifically on building two packages.  Since the
last time I wrote on the subject I've rebuilt 5.0 quite a few times (for
other purposes than checking this error) and always, the same happens at the
exact same spots.  From what I could gather on the mailing list and on the
web (sparse) this is because files were modified.  But I don't modify files.
In fact I run each installation of a package inside a script so the procedure
is exactly the same (apart from the building procedure specific for each
package).

  It untars the package, applies any patch file, executes the build commands,
and removes the package's directory (unless otherwise stated).

  But still:

Gettext, chapter 5:

/bin/sh /mnt/test3/gettext-0.12.1/config/missing --run automake-1.7 --gnits
lib/Makefile
configure.ac:25: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.7.6,
configure.ac:25: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.ac:25: comes from Automake 1.7.5.  You should recreate
configure.ac:25: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
WARNING: `automake-1.7' is needed, and you do not seem to have it handy on
your
         system.  You might have modified some files without having the
         proper tools for further handling them.  Check the `README' file,
         it often tells you about the needed prerequirements for installing
         this package.  You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in case
         some other package would contain this missing `automake-1.7' program.
make[3]: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/test3/gettext-0.12.1/gettext-tools/lib'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/test3/gettext-0.12.1/gettext-tools'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/test3/gettext-0.12.1/gettext-tools'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Texinfo, chapter 5:

/mnt/test3/texinfo-4.6/doc
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/test3/texinfo-4.6/doc'
cd .. && \
  /bin/sh /mnt/test3/texinfo-4.6/missing --run automake-1.7 --gnu
doc/Makefile
configure.ac:17: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.7.6,
configure.ac:17: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.ac:17: comes from Automake 1.7.5.  You should recreate
configure.ac:17: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
make[2]: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/test3/texinfo-4.6/doc'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/test3/texinfo-4.6'
make: *** [all] Error 2

  I'm building 5.0 from a LFS 4.0 system.

  Why are these two packages finding that their files were modified and need
to run autoconf again ?  - Any help truly appreciated !

Cheers,

Al