Kernel panic: No init found...

JazerNorth jay at jaynorth.net
Tue Mar 23 05:40:16 PST 2004

andreas wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:06:48 +0100, Rainer Peter Feller <rainer at maren.desy.de> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 andreas at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>>
>>>I got a
>>>
>>>Warning: unable to open an initial console.
>>>Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
>>>

>>>What I checked so far:
>>>
>>>I use ext2 file system and the ext2 drivers are build into the kernel.
>>>/sbin/init (of the LFS system) is present, owned by root an executable.
>>>/dev/console (of LFS) is present, a char device and has the same rights
>>>    a some other (LFS3.3) system on another computer
>>>I tried to start with init=/bin/bash, but got the same result (Kernel
>>>    panic)
>>>
>>>This is from the LFS 4.1.
>>
>>are you sure that you mount the right rootpartition?
>>are you sure that elf execution is in then kernel?
>>

> Yes, /dev/hda3 and
> yes, elf (but not a.out and misc)
>

> But I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure about the mounting... I know that
> in my lilo.conf, the kernel entry points to /dev/hda3, but I'm not 100%
> sure my fstab has a /dev/hda3 / entry (no access from my office to the
> not running computer, but I will check it as soon as I get there)
>

> Thanks, Andreas

I got the exact same thing.  Many times.  Come to find out, what you
thought was the correct setting in Grub is not.  For example, when I was
setting up my system, my LFS was on /dev/hdc2.  So I set Grub as hd2,1.
  But when I booted my system, it didn't work, so I had to set my Grub
as hd0,1.  Then I had to set my root=/dev/hdc2.  After I got both of
those settings correct, then it boots correctly.

Hope that helps.

JN