to make LFS 5.0 bootable

Stefan Zimmermann sz at sun.com
Tue Mar 23 02:59:33 PST 2004

Hi Jim,

yes I did, but he can't mount root.  The kernerl file is in /boot of the
lfs partition
see my grub menu.lst below,please..... any further suggestions ?

Jim Gifford wrote:

>Did you tell grub that you wanted to boot to hda9 using the (hdx,x) type
>commands??
>
>Try this boot into grub. Hit c for the command line
>
>type kernel (hdx,x)/(kernel file name)
>
>remember type replace (hd0,8) with values util it finds the kernel file. I
>thinkg hda9 is (hd0,8), but you may need to play around with the last #. I
>assume you have the kernel file in the root of hda9.
>
>------
>jim at linuxfromscratch.org
>lfs at jg555.com
>
>LFS User # 2577
>Registered Linux User # 299986

gfxmenu (hd0,1)/message

color white/blue black/light-gray

default 0

timeout 8

title linux

   kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7  hdc=ide-scsi  vga=791

   initrd (hd0,1)/initrd

title LFS 5.0

    root(hd0,8)

    kernel /boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda9 ro

title windows

   root (hd0,0)

   makeactive

   chainloader +1

title failsafe

   kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda7 ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3

   initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.shipped

.. thanks

Stefan