to make LFS 5.0 bootable

Stefan Zimmermann sz at sun.com
Tue Mar 23 01:45:51 PST 2004

Hi,

I've got serveral understanding problems related to boot up LFS located
on a separat partition.

In the host system I am already booting using "grub" .
Can I use this one to boot into LFS too or do I need to use the grub on
the lfs partition ?

I tried to just give the host system's grub the data about LFS but he
fail somehow to mount / .

my host's fstab is:

/dev/hda7            /                    reiserfs   defaults              1 1

/dev/hda2            /boot                ext2       defaults              1 2

/dev/hda8            /usr                 reiserfs   defaults              1 2

/dev/hda6            swap                 swap       pri=42                0 0

/dev/hda9            /mnt/lfs             ext2       defaults              0 0

devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0

usbdevfs             /proc/bus/usb        usbdevfs   noauto                0 0

/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0

/dev/cdrom           /media/cdrom         auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0

As you see /dev/hda9 is LFS's partition so I thought this is my new root
for lfs ?

my LFS's  fstab is:

# Begin /etc/fstab

# filesystem  mount-point  fs-type  options         dump  fsck-order

/dev/hda9     /            ext2     defaults        1     1

/dev/hda6     swap         swap     pri=1           0     0

proc          /proc        proc     defaults        0     0

devpts        /dev/pts     devpts   gid=4,mode=620  0     0

shm           /dev/shm     tmpfs    defaults        0     0

# End /etc/fstab

well that didn't work ...

I am sure I don't see the obvious, but I simply stuck, can someone
please kick my back to get me out of that hole ?

thanks

Stefan