Glibc-2.3.3 make Error

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Mar 22 15:43:04 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, rene.lecoq wrote:

> Hi, I am a newbie.
>
> -- I have an i686-pc, Abit KD7 motherboard.
> host system Mandrake 9.1 (kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk)
>
> -- I have gone on to installing  LFS CVS-2004-03-14
> with packages downloaded from  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/
> except for grep_2.5.1  downloaded from
> http://people.panthera-systems.net/~daniel-baumann/
> linux-from-scratch/lfs/packages/pool/
>
> -- I followed all instructions (no going on tests suites as advised),
> everything worked until I came to:
> Chapter 6: Installing Glibc-2.3.3
>
> -- Then, at "make"'s end I got the following error:
> In file included from ../posix/sched.h:32,
>                  from ../include/sched.h:2,
>                  from ../linuxthreads/descr.h:20,
>                  from ../linuxthreads/internals.h:29,
>                  from ../linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/
> 		 i386/sysdep-cancel.h:24,
>                  from ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/pread64.c:24:
> ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/bits/sched.h:71: internal compiler
> error: Segmentation fault
[snip]

Always stop at the first error, you won't be able to successfully `make
check' after a segmentation fault.

 Try exiting from chroot and powering down cleanly.  Let the box cool
down, then retry.  I'm not familiar with that version of CVS, but my
experience with gcc-3.3.3 is that it stressess everything a bit harder.
Building glibc in chapter 6 with gcc-3.3.3 and a variant of glibc-2.3.3
(testing for 5.1-pre on ppc, seeing if it could build itself after
successfully completing a first build) failed three times with internal
compiler errors then was ok after letting it cool down.  But that was on
a non-mainstream architecture.  You really should avoid CVS for your
first LFS build at the moment, there are too many uncertainties in it.

 As always, try memtest86 if you get internal compiler errors in LFS
itself on x86, and follow the lfs-dev list if you want to use lfs-CVS.
Most people have had success with 5.1-pre1 on i686, but some people have
had strange results, or it might be that you picked a broken version of
the book.

Ken