Numerous "static linking is impossible" warnings while building Binutils

Tartarus tartarus__666 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 14 18:16:59 PST 2004

"Alexander Bunakov" <bunakov at permonline.ru> wrote in message
news:c2pfi6$83f$1 at belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org...
> Hello, All!
>
> I just started my LFS journey, so I need some advice :)
>
> LFS5 book states:
>
> --- 8< -- cut here -----------------------------------------------------
> LDFLAGS="-all-static": This tells the linker that all the Binutils
programs
> should be linked statically. However, strictly speaking, "-all-static" is
> first
> passed to the libtool program which then passes "-static" on to the
linker.
> ----------------------------------------------------- cut here -- >8 ---
>
> While doing
>
> $ make LDFLAGS="-all-static"
>
> I get numerous warnigs like this:
>
> --- 8< -- cut here -----------------------------------------------------
> libtool: link: warning: complete static linking is impossible in this
> configuration
> ----------------------------------------------------- cut here -- >8 ---
>
> Nevertheless, it seems that I successfully passed all the steps in
> "Installing Binutils-2.14 - Pass 1" chapter. Should I worry of any
problems
> that may arise later?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PS: My host system is Mandrake 9.0.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alexander

Hi Alex,

I have just started on the LFS road too, and like you my host system is
Mandrake 9.0 AND I got the "warning: complete static linking is impossible
in this configuration"
messages.
The archives here refer to a missing library glibc-static-devel in the
Mandrake environment so I installed it from CD 3 and recompiled binutils and
this time the warnings did not show up.
I think you will probably have to do the same or you may strike more
significant problems further on in chapter 5.

Good luck on your journey!

Tony