Can't mount fs

Dan Osterrath do3 at mail.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sun Mar 14 12:08:47 PST 2004

Am Sonntag, 14. März 2004 20:34 schrieb Daryl Lee:
> That did the trick (see signature below!).  Compiling as a module didn't
> seem to help, but I read somewhere that fs drivers weren't the best
> candidates for moudlarizing, so I compiled it into the kernel.  Now if I
> can just get my ethernet card recognized...

You need the driver for the root file system compiled in kernel because the
kernel needs it at startup to mount "/".
Afterward the kernel can read "/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/" and load all
needed modules when needed.
This special issue is like the problem with the chicken and the egg. :-)
%> ln -s /dev/null /dev/brain
%> ln -s /dev/urandom /dev/world
%> dd if=/dev/world of=/dev/brain