Can't mount fs

Daryl Lee dlee at altaregos.com
Sat Mar 13 17:34:34 PST 2004

I'm knocking at the door and it won't open.  I've gone throught the
process of building 5.1pre1 and it won't boot.  Here are what I believe
are the pertinent facts.

Last few lines of startup messages
Net4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux 4.0
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
VFS: Unable to mount fs on 03:02

I can boot my original (SuSE 9.0 Pro) system just fine.  Here is
/etc/fstab from my SuSE installation (omitting the /media entries as
insignificant to this issue):

/dev/hda4          /                    reiserfs   defaults 1 1
/dev/hda2          /LFS                 reiserfs   defaults 1 2
/dev/hda1          /data1               auto       noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hda3          swap                 swap       pri=42 0 0
devpts             /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
proc               /proc                proc       defaults 0 0

Here is /LFS/etc/fstab, also with media omitted:

/dev/hda2          /                    reiserfs   defaults 1 1
/dev/hda4          /suse                reiserfs   defaults 1 2
/dev/hda1          /data1               auto       noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hda3          swap                 swap       pri=42 0 0
devpts             /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
proc               /proc                proc       defaults 0 0

Finally, /boot/grub/menu.lst (omitting the entries for booting from
floppy and Failsafe:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title SuSE 9.0 Pro
    kernel (hd0,3)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 splash=silent desktop hdc=ide-scsi hdclun=0 showopts
    initrd (hd0,3)/boot/initrd

title LFS 5.1pre1
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel --no-mem-option /boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda2

The disk was partitioned and formatted when I installed SuSE, not as
part of the LFS instructions.

Any help is appreciated.

--
Daryl Lee