Numerous "static linking is impossible" warnings while building Binutils

Alexander Bunakov bunakov at permonline.ru
Thu Mar 11 02:35:35 PST 2004

Hello, All!

I just started my LFS journey, so I need some advice :)

LFS5 book states:

--- 8< -- cut here -----------------------------------------------------
LDFLAGS="-all-static": This tells the linker that all the Binutils programs
should be linked statically. However, strictly speaking, "-all-static" is
first
passed to the libtool program which then passes "-static" on to the linker.
----------------------------------------------------- cut here -- >8 ---

While doing

$ make LDFLAGS="-all-static"

I get numerous warnigs like this:

--- 8< -- cut here -----------------------------------------------------
libtool: link: warning: complete static linking is impossible in this
configuration

Nevertheless, it seems that I successfully passed all the steps in
"Installing Binutils-2.14 - Pass 1" chapter. Should I worry of any problems
that may arise later?

Thanks in advance.

PS: My host system is Mandrake 9.0.

--