Install Binutils-2.14 Error

Roel Neefs geryon at gaosu.rave.org
Thu Mar 4 17:55:10 PST 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 01:41, Scott Ding wrote:
> Scott Ding wrote:
> > Hi all
> >     I install Bash is ok, but  Binutils-2.14 is error.
> > error log:
> > checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
> > Makefiles... no creating ./config.status
> > creating Makefile
> > Configuring in intl
> > checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> > checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -s -E
> > checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> > checking for gcc... gcc -s
> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc -s -g -O2 -all-static)
> > works... no configure: error: installation or configuration
> > problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
> > make: *** [configure-intl] Error 1
> >

> > my system info:
> > RH9
> > GCC 3.2.2
> > LFS 5.0
> >
> > thanx
> > Scott Ding
> > 2004 3.5
>
> And I use the follow command to install it:
>
> mkdir ../binutils -build &&
> cd ../binutils -build &&

this should twice be binutils-build, not binutils -build

> ../binutils-2.13/configure --prefix=$LFS/static --disable-nls &&

and here's your problem, you say you are following lfs 5.0, but these
commands seem to be from lfs 4.0 (if i recall correctly that one used
binutils 2.13), newer binutils requires the make configure-host before
the make LDFLAGS=-all-static, follow the right book :)

--
Roel Neefs
http://lfs.rave.org/lfs/news.html and ftp://gaosu.rave.org/pub/linux/lfs