unforseen error in /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S40mountfs!!!!!!

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Mar 3 15:53:20 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, faza wrote:

> >  Check /etc/passwd in case you mistyped the shell.  The line for root
> > should be something like "root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash" to use bash
> > as the shell.  Note there is no space after bash.  Seems a likely
> > candidate, because if you don't get the specified shell, your login
> > ends.  If that isn't it, we'll have to think again.
> >
> > Ken
>
> indeed, it works!!!
>
> like u said it was the space after the "/bin/bash"
>
> thanks alot!!!

 You're welcome.

> so... , my first lfs system , wow at last.
> i tought i have to run the whole build again -> (this one took 3 days)

 My scripted builds spread towards 2 days when they go well!  Mind you,
I build a certain amount of extras, and do all the optional tests.

> finaly i got some global cosmetic questions:
>
> when the kernel is booting i got this output:
>
> hdb: C/H/S=20510/81/228 from BIOS ignored        <- my lfs disk
> hda: no response (status = 0x80), resetting drive    <- my cd-rw drive

 This is probably an old box.  The kernel looks as if it's moved to
using lba addresses and the bios can't provide any.  As long as it works
like this, then no need to worry.  If you really want to know, try google,
the kernel discussions are probably indexed there.

> also when grub's booting i have to wait about 20 sec until i see the
> grub menu (before ,there was no wait time , grub menu started immediately)

 This sounds a very long time.  Maybe one of the grub experts here can
offer an opinion.

> everyhing is working just fine , mounting ,etc. but i just wont to be
> sure, should i be concerned, the BIOS settings r set to auto ,dunno why
> the "ignoring bios settings" output?
>
> i got also a lfs book question:
>
> in the command:
>
>    cat > $LFS/etc/group << "EOF"  < the "" in the cmd dont worked
> root:x:0:
> bin:x:1:
> EOF
>
> i had to type :
>
> cat > $LFS/etc/group << EOF
> root:x:0:
> bin:x:1:
> EOF

 Ought to work as the book says. You need to put /both/ EOFs in double
quotes.

Ken