unforseen error in /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S40mountfs!!!!!!

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Mar 3 12:42:23 PST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, faza wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
>

> well, here is the respons.... :)
>

> >  First, to try to fix the failing mount(s), from chroot edit the LFS
> > /etc/fstab to comment out everything you don't need, i.e. devpts and
> > shm.  If that doesn't cause mount to succeed, comment out the swap entry
> > as well.  (I'm guessing the errors are either missing mount points, or
> > failure to mkswap).
>
>   so after probing out some confs in /etc/fstab , this worked for me:
>
> #begin /etc/fstab
>
> # filesystem  mount-point    fs-type  options         dump   fsck-order
>
> /dev/hdb1     /              ext2     defaults        1      1
> /dev/hdb2     swap           swap     pri=1           0      0
> proc          /proc          proc     defaults        0      0
> #devpts        /dev/pts       devpts   gid=4,mode=620  0      0
> shm           /dev/shm       tmpfs    defaults        0      0
> #usbfs         /proc/bus/usb  usbfs    defaults        0      0
>
> #end /etc/fstab
>
> i think: (now , i'm able to ..... , cause last night [3:00 am] i
> couldn't realise ... the fact that the : can't locate module devpts
> error has something to do with the unforseen error !!!thanks for help in
> this one!!!)
>
> for #devpts: compiling dev/pts file suport into the kernel will solve
> the prob (probably oversaw, this option last time,)

 Yes, sometime before you try to log in from another machine, or to use
X.  When you do recompile, remember to change the EXTRAVERSION in the
Makefile so that you don't overwrite the current modules (in case you
change other things and need to go back to the current kernel).

> and for #usbfs: i probably should first add the device with makedev,
> make the mount point (cause the output was something like "no mount
> points defined")

 It's another kernel option, under usb, Preliminary usb device
filesystem.  You may later need to make devices to access certain usb
devices (e.g. /dev/usb/lp0 for printers).

> after that i should finaly get rid of my unforseen error prob
>
> again thanks
>
> unfortunatly like u said , there is still the bash error so :

One down!

> >  When you've got mount succeeding, turn to the second error.  The error
> > message you posted has a space between the '/bin/bash' and the ':'.  Was
> > that a typo in your posting ?
>
> no it wasn't ,but for shure i will retype this one:
>
> so after typing the password i got this output:
>
> lfs login:
>
> Last login: Tue Mar  2 22:46:24 +0100 2004 on tty1
> No mail
>
> Cannot execute /bin/bash : No such file or directory
>

> after this error i have again :
>
> lfs login:
>
> ...so i can again log in and retype the password and i got again the
> same error....
>
> 	and btw the system is working just fine (my sisters comp was trying to
> connect via the home lan , and i had some output about that , also had
> some output when phone was ringing [got isdn]) , anyway its quiet off
> topic here .....
>
> any idea how to fix this one??????

Not yet.  The system is running, with logs dumping to the console in the
genuine lfs manner.  Your login succeeds to the extent that it records
you as logging in.  The getty comes up again afterwards.

 Check /etc/passwd in case you mistyped the shell.  The line for root
should be something like "root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash" to use bash
as the shell.  Note there is no space after bash.  Seems a likely
candidate, because if you don't get the specified shell, your login
ends.  If that isn't it, we'll have to think again.

Ken