unforseen error in /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S40mountfs!!!!!!

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Mar 3 08:51:33 PST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, faza wrote:

> ilja wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've looked at your settings and noticed the following:
> > You seem to have installed LFS on hdb1, with the swap on hdb2
> > but, in your menu file, the LFS entry seem to point root to hd0,0 and the
> > boot partition also on hd0,0
> > the HD translation in grub goes:
> > hda=hd0
> > hdb=hd1
> > hdc=hd2
> > etc,etc
>
> yes but , for grub any atached cd-rom's (like in my case cause i got a
> cd on hda) dont figure as disks , so for grub my hdb is hd0,0 (the first
> disk grub detects),
>
> and also it's important wich disk the 1st boot disk is, i think..
> (so in my case the first boot controler is the onboard with the 1st disk
> on hdb, the second is the raid controler with my raid array = hd1,0)

 Ok, so your grub menu looks ok (thought it was, since you get an lfs
error message).  I think you've got at least two errors here.  First,
something is failing to mount (giving the error code Nathan explained),
and secondly you've got an error causing the "cannot execute /bin/bash
:" message.

 First, to try to fix the failing mount(s), from chroot edit the LFS
/etc/fstab to comment out everything you don't need, i.e. devpts and
shm.  If that doesn't cause mount to succeed, comment out the swap entry
as well.  (I'm guessing the errors are either missing mount points, or
failure to mkswap).

 When you've got mount succeeding, turn to the second error.  The error
message you posted has a space between the '/bin/bash' and the ':'.  Was
that a typo in your posting ?  When you get this error message, are you
logged in and able to do something (e.g. `ls' - if so, what does pwd
show ?), or does your session hang.  Is the problem the same on the
other consoles ?

 I'm an old hand at making errors - on of the secrets in fixing them is
to break them down into manageable chunks.  Good luck.

Ken