unforseen error in /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S40mountfs!!!!!!

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Mon Mar 1 17:43:55 PST 2004

> hi ,
> i have almost build the system but after i try to boot lfs 5.0
> i got this error:
>
> unforseen error in /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S40mountfs
> wich exited with a return value of 96
>
> i'm still able to login but after i enter the password i got this:
>
> cannot execute /bin/bash :
> no such file or directory
>
> my guess is: my lfs is pointing to the /bin/bash in my host system (red
> hat 8.0), however it doesn't make any sens to me cause during the build
> everything worked fine , also when i was chrooting things were going as
> written in the book.
>

> dunno maybe the unforseen error has something to do with it...
>
> btw, i tried to run in the chroot env the mountfs script in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/ to wich the S40mountfs points to and i got something
> like this:
>
> Remounting root file system in r-w mode.... ok
> Recording existing mounts in /etc/mtab..... ok
> Mounting remaining file systems....
> mount: devpts already mounted or devpts
> busy..                                     failed
>
> but it wasn't mounted so i dunno why this error
>

> nevertheless i think the script is working just fine , so i still can't
> understand why the unforseen error -> my first guess was the script is
> bugy
>

> i installed lfs-5.0 from the host ditro red hat 8.0 (the ditro is on my
> raid aray (stripping 2+0) the lfs is on my normal hdd )
> yes i know , this is not quiet a stnd configuration ,
>
> i also have'nt set up the modules.conf file ,yet but i dont think it
> really matters at least according to the  "cannot execute /bin/bash"
> error ....
>
> thanks
>
> faza

Well, it probably doesnt help here, but your error 96, on mount means
       32     mount failure
       64     some mount succeeded
[taken from man mount, add the 2 #'s together]

It is probably because of the wrong values in /etc/fstab.

If you are able to post your /etc/fstab [lfs's that is] here, as well as a
breakdown of your partitioning skeme, I will be able to provide further
information.