[LFS 5.1.1] glibc 2.3.3 make check mtrace problem (again)

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 12:32:19 PDT 2004

Georgi Chulkov wrote:

> Thank you for your help. Indeed, my Perl is very very wrong... I was
> trying to install 5.8.4 (as in the book) by the way. I tried typing
> perl -v and this is what I got:
>
> OUTSIDE THE CHROOT in perl source folder:
>
> I typed: "perl -v" and got "This is perl 5.8.3 ...."
> I typed: "./perl -v" and got "This is perl 5.8.4 ...."

If you try /tools/bin/perl -v it will work outside the chroot, because
it is linked to the base systems libraries.

OK. The perl that you built is linked against your base system libraries

> INSIDE THE CHROOT in the same folder:
>
> I typed "perl -v" and got "/usr/bin/perl: No such file or directory"
> (why is it looking for it there?)

Because you put a symbolic link there.

> I typed "./perl -v" and got "./perl: No such file or directory"
> I typed "/sources/perl-5.8.4/perl -v" and got
> "/sources/perl-5.8.4/perl: No such file or directory"
> I typed "/tools/bin/perl -v" and got "/tools/bin/perl: No such file or
> directory"

Since perl does not run in the chroot environment, you must rebuild it
according to chapter 5

Become the lfs user; make sure that /tools/bin is on the front of your
PATH.  Delete old source directories, and unpack clean source

Perhaps your PATH was wrong when you built perl

Check that things are linked correctly by doing

ldd /tools/bin/gcc
ldd /tools/bin/ld

These programs should be linked against /tools/lib/libc.so.6
and not /lib/libc.so.6