[LFS 5.1.1] glibc 2.3.3 make check mtrace problem (again)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Jun 30 12:19:54 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Georgi Chulkov wrote:

> I typed: "perl -v" and got "This is perl 5.8.3 ...."
> I typed: "./perl -v" and got "This is perl 5.8.4 ...."

 In that case, you did NOT install 5.8.4 properly, did you ?  Go back
and look at the chapter 5 commands again, slowly.  There are three
instructions which make up the install, the first is

cp perl pd/pod2man /tools/bin

followed by a mkdir and a cp -R.

> INSIDE THE CHROOT in the same folder:
>
> I typed "perl -v" and got "/usr/bin/perl: No such file or directory"
> (why is it looking for it there?)

 because it does ;-)  Go back to 'creating essential symlinks' at the
start of chapter 6 and remake whatever you missed.

> I typed "./perl -v" and got "./perl: No such file or directory"
> I typed "/sources/perl-5.8.4/perl -v" and got
> "/sources/perl-5.8.4/perl: No such file or directory"
> I typed "/tools/bin/perl -v" and got "/tools/bin/perl: No such file or
> directory"
>
> I have a perl file both in /sources/perl-5.8.4 and in /tools/bin - I've
> checked with ls running from within the chroot, and with ls from the
> outside.
>
> How could I possibly sort out that mess??

 As above, your current position can be saved.

> Note: I do have a 5.8.4 folder with lots of pm files. I made no typo
> when installing perl, following the book, and I did it over and over
> again to make sure.

 Sorry, experience on the lists says that's a dead giveaway!  The more
we all are convinced we're correctly following the instructions, the
more we unconciously misread them.

Ken