eth0 not working on a brand new LFS 5.1.1

Manuel Vázquez Acosta manu at chasqui.cu
Mon Jun 28 08:58:17 PDT 2004

Hi all:

Last week I came across the LFS 5.1.1, and, having tried an old version and
since I was needing a little linux for a little testing web server, I
started to build my own LFS 5.1.1.

Though I wasn't able (neither willing) to repartion my Windows FS I decided
to create a Virtual PC with two virtual disks - one for the building
platform (Red Hat 9) and the other one for my LFS.

I followed the book very closely, just adjusting my LFS partition
(/dev/hda1).

After a few days I made it, and now the LFS is working, but it doesn't
detect the virtual eth card. I guess it is a problem in the kernel support
for this kind of networking. I have compiled the kernel several times,
puzzling with network devices having no success (in fact, the odds are
againts me)

This is what LFS says about eth0:

Bringing up the eth0 interface...
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device