LFS on ARM

rl at nezumi.plus.com rl at nezumi.plus.com
Mon Jun 28 08:16:57 PDT 2004

On 2004-06-27 12:45:26 +0000, James Inge wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been trying for some while now to get LFS working on a CATS
> StrongARM 110 box, and not quite got there, probably due to complicated
> problems with the toolchain.  I've been using variations on the LFS 5.x
> instructions.  Rather than describe the errors in detail, I want to
> attack the problem a different way:
>
> Does anyone reading have a LFS system working on an ARM architecture
> machine?

I am working on arm architecture (Skyminder), but that harware will
not run gcc in any reasonable amount of time (you would need NFS over a
serial port!). Martin has only been able to make kernels boot if they
are cross compiled with gcc-2.95.3. Stephen has had problems with
shared libraries. He has tried several different compiler/C-library
combinations (See http://kegel.com/crosstool/ for a painless way to
make cross-compilers). I still have hardware problems to fix, so I do
not get to play with the software yet.

The current theory here is someone forgot to specify signed or unsigned
when it mattered. Char's are signed by default on i386, and unsigned by
default on ARM. Stephen is trying a re-build with the default changed to
signed.

Richard
--
I'm only doing this until a good fast food job opens up.