Konsole not working for users

Andrew Sharp andrew.sharp3 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 28 07:32:32 PDT 2004

On Monday 28 Jun 2004 15:18, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> > permissions for /dev/pts/0 is for user andrew, group tty, and root lists
> > this more specifically as cwr--r----
> >
> > Andrew
>
>  Odd, on both of the boxes running X here I see 'crw--w----' but I think
> maybe you miscopied it ?  Anyway, permissions for group tty shouldn't
> affect how a user runs it.
>
>  You didn't startx (or startdke) as root, and then su to a normal user,
> did you ?
>
>  I don't have any suggestions for LFS-5, I've never seen this problem.
>
> Ken
> --
>  das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce
I do mix'n'match as I don't know how to set up multiple sessions yet. When in
root, I su in Konsole to use irc, and su in xterm when in user mode to
configure more stuff from user. I can't startx for multiple console logins,
only one can be active.

Even chasing around the web, the problem is common, but the solution isn't!
I chmod the pts folder to 666 but that didn't do anything for me. Thanks for
trying Ken!

Andrew.