Unable to umount /mnt/lfs: Device is busy

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Fri Jun 18 06:20:34 PDT 2004

Rumor has it that Anders Lingfors may have mentioned these words:
>Hi all.
>
>Everything works fine up until where you're supposed to umount /mnt/lfs,
>where I am told that the system is unable to umount because the device is busy.

Do you have another terminal session (or a program) that's accessing
something from that partition?

>Can somebody explain this behaviour, and tell me what I must do to umount
>the /mnt/lfs? If not, how dangerous is it to reboot the system without
>umounting /mnt/lfs first?

Behaviour: Something somewhere is still has an open file in that directory.

Danger: You and/or your machine may need to fsck that drive if you do
reboot without releasing that drive. If you don't have a lot of active
processes the actual danger of filesystem corruption will be minimal.

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   ---   sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!