Unable to umount /mnt/lfs: Device is busy

Anders Lingfors anders at unf.se
Fri Jun 18 06:06:01 PDT 2004

Hi all.

I've been installing LFS on the same partition as my host system, using a loopback device connected to a file /tmp/lfs.disk. I've installed all the packages, removed the host system and copied everything to the main partition, as told in the one-partition hint on linuxfromscratch.org.

Everything works fine up until where you're supposed to umount /mnt/lfs, where I am told that the system is unable to umount because the device is busy.

Can somebody explain this behaviour, and tell me what I must do to umount the /mnt/lfs? If not, how dangerous is it to reboot the system without umounting /mnt/lfs first?

/Anders