LFS 5.1.1: Chapter 6: gcc 3.3.3: make -k check: filebuf... & duff-2 errors

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Jun 17 16:56:48 PDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Ken Fuchs wrote:

> I have followed the LFS 5.1.1 Manual quite literally.
>
> The following two unexpected failures were encountered:
>
> WARNING: program timed out.
> FAIL: 27_io/filebuf_members.cc execution test
>
> FAIL: gcc.dg/duff-2.c (test for excess errors)
>
> >From the LFS mailing lists, it seems that the duff-2.c error can be
> ignored.
>
> What bothers me more is the filebuf_members.cc error which I could
> find no reference to in any LFS documentation (Manual, FAQ, mailing
> lists, Wiki).  Should I be concerned about it?

 Try searching the archives of lfs-dev, I mentioned it enough times
there.  It doesn't seem to matter (although we did see situations before
5.1 was released where sometimes the build would hang, but possibly only
if scripted).

 The good news is that with the current version of glibc you will
probably be able to find, and kill, the lingering ./filebuf_members.exe
(sic) process with fuser, which saves having to ensure lsof is installed
on the host when you want to umount $LFS.

 In conversations (possibly off-list) with Ryan we determined that the
failing test was altered in 3.3.3 to fix problems on one of the less
common platforms (ia64, maybe), but it looks sensible and we've no idea
why it trips some of us up ;-)  The only certainty is that not everyone
seems to get bitten by it.

Ken