What is the file /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive for?

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Jun 17 08:06:03 PDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, David L. Martin wrote:

> I'm trying to reduce the size of my LFS image so I can fit into a small
> CF card.  So far so good, but what is the file
> /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive used for, and can a get rid of it?

 From memory, only the glibc developers seem to know, and they aren't
documenting it.  It gets updated every time you run localedef (e.g. if
you install the minimal locales for the testsuites to all succeed).

 If you are happy with the C locale (or 'POSIX') then you can probably
get rid of it.  The sensible advice for deleting files you aren't sure
about is always along the lines of "rename it, see if anything breaks" -
or better, have a full LFS while you are testing, and a cut down one on
another partition, so that you can reboot to the full one if things go
badly.

Ken