LFS 5.1.1: Chapter 6: glibc: make check: inet error solution

Ken Fuchs kfuchs at winternet.com
Wed Jun 16 12:16:21 PDT 2004

I'm responding back with a solution to my problem:

>The error "Connection refused" suggests that the getifaddrs() might be
>failing due to some missing kernel function.
>
>My host system is stable Debian v3.0r2:
>
># uname -a
>Linux pc01706 2.2.20 #1 Sat Apr 20 11:45:28 EST 2002 i686 unknown
>
>Now I see what may be the problem.  I had a recent power failure and
>the system rebooted to the default 2.2.20 kernel rather that the
>Debian 2.4.18-5 kernel I installed just prior to starting the
>LFS 5.1.1 install.
>
>I had just finished Chapter 5 using the Debian 2.4.18-5 kernel before
>the power failure.  Should I restart Chapter 6 entirely, because I was
>using a 2.2.x kernel rather than 2.4.x?  I think I could just reboot
>to the 2.4.18 kernel and redo the "make check" or just continue where
>I left off.  Any suggestions?

I rebooted the default 2.2.20 kernel into 2.4.18-5 and changed the
default kernel to 2.4.18-5, so it would be hard to make this mistake
again.

Next, I deleted the test_ifaddrs, test_ifaddrs.o and test_ifaddrs.out
files in glib-build/inet, so when executing "make check", that single
failed test would be compiled, linked and executed a second time.

With the 2.4.18-5 kernel running that single failed test now
succeeds.  glibc-build/inet/test-ifaddrs.out now contains a nice list
of network interfaces and addresses.  As expected there was no problem
with the glibc build.  The problem was with the previously running
kernel (2.2.20) lacking a particular function that getifaddrs()
requires.

The 2.2.20 kernel should be OK for building glibc, not OK for checking
it.  I rechecked the one test that failed with the 2.2.20 kernel on
the 2.4.18-5 kernel.  So, I can now safely resume the Chapter 6 glibc
build with the "touch /etc/ld.so.conf" step.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>