Compileing The Kernel

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Jun 13 11:55:10 PDT 2004

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Aron Reid wrote:

> Hello everyone, I was just curious, when you finally get around to compiling
> the kernel in the LFS book (Pg. 170 I believe, and this maybe a stupid
> questions) however will it be compliant with all x86 systems using the i386
> architecture?  I have used several Linux operating systems that had problems
> with older technology such as P1/MMX and embedded platforms such as the AMD
> Geode / Media GX systems.  Also some embedded Linux RTOS's that I have used
> had this same issue and I just wanted to ensure that this build would be
> fine with older systems, or if there is a switch to optimize the code for
> this systems (or perhaps it does it automatically?).  I do apologize since I
> am not very knowledgeable in Linux, I assume since I have gotten Linux to
> work on both the MMX and Geode processors that it should work, however I
> just wanted to ensure that simply running the commands in this book will
> work for all x86 platforms (I'm not trying to compile for anything else such
> as 64bit or the other elaborate archs in the kernel)

 The book assumes you already have the ability to build a kernel which
works on the box you are building it on.  If you want to build something
which you can copy and run on all x86 boxes (well, possibly excluding
the geode) then configuring the kernel for i386 is the least of your
problems (hint: search for uname hack).

 If you have doubts about your ability to configure a working kernel,
you should probably try it while you have all the resources of your host
distro (unless it uses devfs) _before_ you start LFS.  The book doesn't
go into detail on which config options you should use, and for a good
reason.  If you aim to "build once, run on many boxes"  then you've got
a bit more research to do (and the occasional references to the geode
that I've seen suggest it _won't_ run a "generic" x86 kernel with recent
versions of the kernel.

Ken